An Integrative Approach to Chronic Infections and Tick-Borne Illness
- Last Updated: 05 April 2016 05 April 2016
Beyond Balance hosted a superb event entitled "An Integrative Approach to Chronic Infection and Tick-borne Illness" in Parsippany, NJ on May 16, 2015. When I saw the list of speakers, I knew I needed to get on a flight and head to New Jersey as this event had some of my favorite healers. I'm glad I did.
Speakers included: Ann Corson MD, Kristine Gedroic MD, Tom Moorcroft DO, Marie Matheson ND, and herbalist and naturopath Susan McCamish. Susan McCamish is also the formulator of the many umbrella-like in nature herbal blends offered by Beyond Balance and ones that I personally use on a daily basis for my own continued health improvement.
The entire event was videotaped and is available through Beyond Balance for those that would like to listen to the full detail from each speaker which goes far beyond what I am able to represent here.
Disclaimer: Nothing in this text is intended to serve as medical advice. All medical decisions should be made only with the guidance of your own personal licensed medical authority.
Disclaimer: This information was taken as notes during the conference and may not represent the exact statements of the speakers. Errors and/or omissions may be present.
Susan McCamish presented "Advanced Application of Herbal Formulas for Use with Complex and Chronic Infections" and shared the following:
- You cannot absorb nutrition when the body is in a state of inflammation.
- Susan got into this to help her son who was in a wheelchair at 10 years old, was ultimately diagnosed with Lyme, and she created these magical remedies (my words) to help him recover. He did recover, is doing amazingly well today and just graduated from high school. As a result, we all get to benefit from the Beyond Balance formulas.
- There are many challenges in recovering from chronic illness. Compromised immune function, inability to detox, inflammation, lack of enzymatic activity in the gut, protein deprivation, nutritional deficiencies, and the host of microbial issues. These may include viruses, mycoplasma, protozoa, parasites, Chlamydia, H. Pylori, Strep, Staph, Rickettsia, and many others.
- Herbs are food. They support the body in many ways simultaneously and are readily accepted by the cells.
- Herbs can be used alone or in combination with antibiotics.
- Herbal extracts support immune function, support organ function, provide detoxification support, and target microbial burden.
- Detoxification support is critical in reducing toxin load and helping to lessen Herxheimer reactions. By removing toxins, there may be improved nutritional absorption.
- The liver, colon, kidneys, skin, lungs, and lymph must all be supported in detoxification.
- 70% of the immune system is in the gut and improving GI health is a key in recovering overall wellness.
- Some practitioners have found TOX-EASE GL combined with TOX-EASE II to be helpful in supporting detoxification of heavy metals.
- In some very sensitive patients, starting with a single herb such as Cat's Claw or Pau D'Arco may be necessary.
- More and more information is emerging on a potential link between Babesia and various cancers such as breast, prostate, and other cancers.
- MC-PZ has been found to be helpful by some practitioners in assisting their patients with urinary tract infections. PRONAN is essentially PZ-2 and provides another option for supporting the body against protozoans. OGN-KB with PZ or PRONAN is used by some practitioners for UTIs.
- Dr. Ann Corson likes the BFM-P product which is often used to support the body against biofilms; an important consideration in antimicrobial treatment.
- Some have used TOX-EASE and OGN-DI and found it was also helpful for their Lyme-related issues.
- Some practitioners have reported that VASC-SPPT has been helpful in those with POTS.
- A number of new herbal blends have just been released including ENL-TX, MC-CH, IMN-GI, LYMPH-SPPT, IMN-B, ENL-VR, and IMN-V-III. (Note: I've already used ENL-TX, MC-CH, LYMPH-SPPT, and ENL-VR and am grateful for these new tools!)
Dr. Marie Matheson presented "A Naturopathic Approach To Treating Tick Borne Illness-Clinical Pearls and Cases" and shared:
- Nobody gets better on antibiotics alone.
- You cannot mount a healing response if you do not have the energy; need to consider adrenals. Restorative formulations with licorice may be helpful.
- Treating mold is what gets our patients better. When the snow melts in March or they go to a church or library, how do they feel?
- Allergic shiners, congestion, rosacea, small swollen lymph nodes, smelling odors and chemicals are all signs of mold.
- KPU is an issue in about 80% of patients and she uses BioPure Core.
- Most Lyme patients are not methylating well; probably 80-90%.
- People need real food - bone broth, grass fed gelatin heals the gut and supports the adrenals). She has a recipe for a mean straberry mousse with gelatin.
- GMO foods alter our gut bacteria.
- Stevia has been shown to be antimicrobial in those with Lyme and Xylitol may be helpful for those with fungal infections.
- Yeasty patients have heavy metals; when you get rid of the heavy metals, the yeast becomes much easier to treat.
- Cilantrogen is often helpful for reducing aluminum.
- Treating yeast improves dysmenorrhea (painful menstruation).
- Oral birth control without periods leads to toxicity in women.
- Thyroid Peroxidate (TPO) antibodies often resolve with yeast treatment.
- The sinuses are like a deep lagoon. Inflammation in the sinuses leads to less malleable sinuses.
- She uses very hot and then very cold water compresses to create a pumping action in the sinuses which often leads to the release of significant drainage from the sinus cavity.
- Citricidal Plus can be helpful for men with yeast-related prostate issues.
- Biotis ADP is a strong yeast killer.
- Has found Supreme Nutrition BFB-1 or BFB-2 applied on the arm or leg to be helpful in support of reducing biofilms.
- Patients often see big improvements with addressing dental work.
- With MYCOREGEN for fungal support, some patients may have to start with a drop every other day topically and then work up to oral use and eventually to 15 drops twice daily over time. She also like to rotate
- MYCOREGEN and ENL-BT when dealing with fungal/mold issues.
- PARAZOMIN can be helpful around the full moon for parasites.
- PZ may be supportive in those with SIBO.
- BAR-1 has been helpful for her patients with Rickettsia and POTS where BAR-2 has been helpful for those with fibrocystic breasts or other breast issues.
- OGN-KB is helpful when there is bladder urgency or elevated creatinine.
- She likes Viriditas Herbal Products Upper Respiratory and Sinus formula and says "Let it flow".
- Uses Custom Probiotics and cautions against products with FOS as it can feed the bad as well as the good. We want FOS free probiotics. The D-Lactate Free probiotic from Custom Probiotics can be helpful with food sensitivities.
- Diabetes creates a breeding ground for yeast.
- Stephania can be helpful for anything related to the eyes.
- Sees thallium in patients which may be related to environments exposures such as Fukishima.
- A seizure is a way to check out or avoid emotional trauma in some cases.
- Sand flies may have Lyme and Bartonella. These are common in places like Cuba and Dominican Republic. Create your own bug sprays. Can apply as a spray or with a rollerball and use under the nose (applied with a cotton ball) to disinfect the air.
Dr. Tom Moorcroft spoke on "Chronic Toxin Overload - An Osteopathic Approach to Chronic Illness" and shared:
- EMF reduction is super important to regain wellness.
- Patients with parasitic infections do not like EMFs; they do better and tolerate treatment better with EMF reduction.
- Dr. Karim has EMF annulets that have been helpful for some.
- Toxin production leads to inflammation.
- Autoimmune inflammation is what he sees day in and day out.
- When anti-infective approaches don't work, it may be more about autoimmunity.
- PANDAS is infection induced autoimmune encephalopathy.
- IMN-R can often help turn off the hyper-reactivity of the immune system.
- Flex Now is helpful for autoimmune inflammation.
- Shallow breathing leads to a crappy immune system.
- World War II was a traumatic event and people are harder to treat since WWII.
- "Chronic toxin overload" may consist of bacteria, virus, yeast, molds, heavy metals, food allergies, EMFs, biotoxins, hormone issues, genetics, emotions, pollution, stress, medications, lack of exercise, dysbiosis, somatic dysfunction, parasites.
- Treatment approach is to purify, detoxify, and amplify.
- The spleen influences body-wide inflammation.
- You can often turn off inflammation by balancing emotions.
- Sometimes you need a push on the boat and not a hammer on the nail to get things moving.
Dr. Ann Corson spoke on "The Chronic Illness Puzzle" and shared:
- People are born with a hard drive called genetics and a soft drive called epigenetics.
- Uses German Biological Medicine which integrates modern Western medical science, European herbal medicine, classical homeopathy, isopathic medicine, terrain based medicine, and bioenergetic medicine.
- It provides a framework for restoration of overall vitality, GI function, extracellular matrix, endothelial system, GALT, MALT, spleen, bone marrow, neuroimmune, neuroendocrine, and neurovascular control mechanisms.
- Chronically ill patients have many complex issues. Numerous infections, GI dysbiosis, hormonal and metabolic issues, systemic inflammation, vasculitis, hypercoaguability, toxic extracellular matrix, metabolic issues with detoxification, mitochondrial dysfunction, immune system dysfunction and nervous system damage and dysfunction.
- The approach to recovery in a chronic patient is multi-factorial and includes simultaneous treatment of: reducing inflammation, reducing neuro-excitotoxins, restoring the gut and respiratory mucosal integrity, addressing hypercoagulation, supporting genetic and epigenetic weaknesses, addressing pathogens, supporting neuroimmune and neuroendocrine function, and removing toxins.
- You have to peel the onion.
- Lyme, Babesia, and Protomyxzoa all produce toxins; as do molds.
- There can be shifting, cycling food allergies due to leaky gut.
- Leaky gut also increases environmental allergies; Syntrion products can help with allergic responses.
- Leaky gut will never be fixed if a patient is eating GMOs.
- Experiment with 1/2 pigs eating GMO and the others not. The ones that ate GMO had beefy red gastritis.
- Upregulated inflammation stimulates the coagulation cascade.
- Even small amounts of fibrin impact the ability to get nutrients in and toxins out.
- Central control of the HPA axis cannot be fixed with a focus on adrenals.
- If you are not going to change your diet, you are wasting your money and wasting her time.
- IgG food allergy tests are useless as that is more of a lifelong pattern. IgA is better. Cyrex is a great option.
- Anyone that lives in the world today has some degree of heavy metal toxicity. Cadmium toxicity can come from rice.
- When people stay sick and don't respond, it is usually always mold.
- Mold destroys the brain, lungs, and immune system.
- 1 in 5 normally have a genetic tendency toward sticky blood.
- In difficult patients that aren't getting better, look for more infections, hypercoagulation, biotoxin illness, methylation issues, heavy metals, dental issues, structural problems.
- Fully organic, grass fed meet, free range poultry, wild fish, no processes foods, no GMO, no HFCS, no dried fruit, limit all grains, avoid gluten/dairy.
- For Herxheimer reactions, enzymes, additional drainage, and binders can be helpful options.
- Vasculitis can be related to Bartonella, Protomyxzoa, and HHV-6.
- Moving metal toxins or mold toxins can increase blood stickiness.
- Not getting waste out leads to pain like a tourniquet; sharp stabbing pains, legs falling asleep.
- She looks at everyone's feet. If you have deep red feet when sitting and you lay down and they are pale, that could be a sign of hypercoagultion. The tongue can often be pale with indentations (can also by hypothyroid).
- SyCircue lotion or tablets can help.
- Do you have cardboard in the basement that gets wet when left there? Does your shower smell funny? Mold
- Most of her patients of HLA DR issues and hypercoagulation issues.
- Treating inflammation and the underlying issues generally normalizes cholesterol when elevated.
- You cannot heal leaky gut if you are still mold exposed.
- Adrenals and thyroid are the delta and we need to go to the headwaters which is the hypothalamus and pituitary.
- MoldControlOnABudget.com and CreateYourHealthyHome.com are great resources.
- Methylation is a big piece; detoxing metals requires fixing methylation.
- When moving metals, need to protect the kidneys; she likes Nestmann Solidago.
- Killing Protomyxzoa or yeast also releases metals. Yeast is often present to absorb heavy metals.
- The Lymph Star Pro is one of the only ways to get aluminum out of the body.
- Sugar makes everything you eat get stored as fat.
- Avoid blood sucking insects.
- Women's makeup is full of heavy metals.
- You can't help someone if they are living, working, or going to school in a moldy environment.
- 99% of recalcitrant patients have a mold issue.
- Don't use a sledgehammer for something you can do with tweezers.
- Don't underestimate the value of trace minerals.
- Walking is one of the best things we can do; helps the body to self-regulate.
- She finds BAB-3 to be more helpful than BAB-2 for many of her clients.
- She may combine BAB-2 with Vital Guard, Melia, or Golden Thread Supreme from Supreme Nutrition.
- Nothing works as well for hypercoagulation as Allergy Research Nattokinase softgels and Canada RNA Boluoke.
- Most allopathic drugs that she uses are antiparasitics.
- In people with biotoxin illness, there is often a exaggerated startle response.
- While counterintuitive, a heavy menses may be the result of hypercoagulation.
- Sore and tight achy muscles are often related to liver dysfunction.
- Protomyxzoa likes to take iron.
- apo-STOM is helpful for gut healing.
- There is a new coconut oil product with high MCT available from Coconut Oil Supreme.
Dr. Kristine Gedroic spoke on "Managing Detoxification and Infection with Beyond Balance Formulas" and shared:
- Uses Soluna drainage remedies in some people with good results, but can be very provoking and thus not used early on in treatment.
- Phosphatidylcholine is the outer membrane of the cell and other phospholipids are on the inside of the cell.
- Some forms of PhosChol available in the US are contaminated with aluminum.
- Phosphatidylcholine may help to emulsify biofilms.
- Butyrate can be a very helpful anti-inflammatory option. It can thin the blood, serve as an antiviral, be an anti-inflammatory to the gut, and help with cold hands and feet.
- Always check calcitriol levels with Vitamin D. When elevated, this represents intracellular burden and BAR-1 often helps.
- Parasites and mold are significant issues that have to be addressed.
- There can be autoinoculation with parasites in that they are an internal host for smaller bugs and they re-release other microbes into systemic circulation.
- Vitamin D levels often come up as 1,25 levels go down and intracellular infections are lessened - without adding any Vitamin D as a supplement.
- Treatment consists of detoxification, controlling infections, and restoring and repairing membrane function.
- Dis-Ease is too much of something that should not be there such as toxins, infections, mold, pesticides, EMFs; and not enough of something that should be there such as protein, fat, vitamins, minerals, and enzymes.
- Symptoms resuls when our drains overflow. You have to slow down the faucet or open the drain or both.
- Cellular detox may be with TOX-EASE GL, TOX-EASE, Energetix Pure Body Clear, Nutramedix Burbur, Nutramedix Parsley, or Nutramedix Pinella.
- There is an oral membrane stabilizing "Power Drink" that is made with protein powder, phosphatidylcholine, healthy oils such as BodyBio Balance oil, electrolytes, etc.
- With COGNEASE and COGNEASE-DETOX, she often starts COGNEASE which can have anti-inflammatory effects as well as antimicrobial effects and then adds COGNEASE-DETOX which can help with nervous system detoxification.
- When organisms are protected in biofilm, they are up to 1000 times more resistant to antibiotics.
What a great day! SO grateful for these wonderful and brave healers.
Disclaimer: While I attempted to accurately represent the statements of the various speakers, it is possible that the above contains errors or inaccuracies. If you have any corrections to the content listed above, please Contact Me.
BetterHealthGuy.com is intended to share my personal experience in recovering from my own chronic illness. Information presented is based on my journey working with my doctors and other practitioners as well as things I have learned from conferences and other helpful resources. As always, any medical decisions should be made only with the guidance of your own personal medical authority. Everyone is unique and what may be right for me may not be right for others.
Was this helpful? If you found this information helpful, I would very much appreciate your support in keeping the site going. If you would like to donate to my work, I thank you in advance and send you my gratitude.